What do you look for to get a good night’s sleep? The answers might be different if you are thinking about your own bed at home or whether you are sleeping in a tent, in minus degrees, after carrying your kit halfway up a mountain. Well why should you have to give up on comfort and warmth just because you are sleeping in the wild? You don’t! You should pick up a compact sleeping bag. We’ve rounded up the best compact sleeping bags. Take your pick!
How to Choose the Best Compact Sleeping Bag
Quality materials are very important when you are shopping for a good sleeping bag that will keep you warm during the night in the colder months, and keep you cool during the summer months. Many are designed with specific seasons in mind however some have designs that mean they are adaptable for the weather. Look for a good quality material for insulation and a non-rip outer lining to make sure you get your money’s worth in the long run.
When it comes to sleeping bags the prices can differ quite significantly, and if you are spending a bit more you need to know that you are getting the additional quality in the insulation materials, such as goose down or duck down – like the ones featured below. Also you don’t just want to go for the cheapest option, as you might find your feet a little chilly at 2am.
Mummy or Envelope
What are you going to use this sleeping bag for primarily? Is it just for you or will you be camping in a group? Mummy bags are great for individuals as they keep you snug and toasty, but envelope ones are great if you want to open them out and use them as a quilt for more than one camper – and some even zip together!
#1 Hyke & Byke Shavano Mummy Down Sleeping Bag
Professional Camping Rating: 9.6 / 10
|$$$||1.9lbs||Down fill||6.2 x 6.6 x 12.4||Summer, Spring|
This sleeping bag is a lot lighter than a lot of the ones on the market at the moment weighing under two pounds. It comes with a lifetime warranty like the other products by this brand which means you won’t have to ever go without your precious sleeping bag on your outdoor adventures.
With duck down insulation which is not only warm during the night but is highly waterproof as it is lined. These materials help to trap in the warmer air keeping you toasty through the night.
There are various sizes available and it packs up to just a small package so there will be lots of room leftover in your backpack for your other camping essentials, such as your favourite pillow or coffee cup.
- 2.13lbs SAVE SPACE and SHAVE WEIGHT with ultralight premium quality duck down filling (superior to synthetic) - nature's best light insulator with the highest warmth-to-weight ratio to beat the cold outdoor winter weather.
- STAY WARM and DRY as a result of Water-resistant shell fabric and Hydrophobic 650FP duck down - the microscopic air clusters found in down feathers create "loft" that trap heat and keeps you warm …
#2 Winner Outfitters Mummy Sleeping Bag
Professional Camping Rating: 9.2 / 10
|$||3.4lbs||350T Polyester||87 x 32 x 4||All Seasons|
With high quality materials throughout, this sleeping bag is really soft, waterproof and rip resistant. It promises to keep you warm even in the colder weather, and will aim to keep you cool if you’re camping during the summer months.
If you are heading out on a winter expedition this sleeping bag is a great choice as it’s highly durable and waterproof, stopping any damp from seeping through to you during the night. It’s also skin friendly, so is suitable for anyone with sensitive skin and easy to clean, so great for anyone prone to spilling their morning coffee.
- High-quality material: 350T Polyester with coating shell makes the sleeping bag ultra soft, waterproof and rip-stop, So it can keep you warm even in extreme weather and prevent you from any dampness. Comes with 200G/㎡ Hollow Fiber fill which enhances non-allergetic, pro-environmental and better insulating performance. You'll feel comfortable when temperature is between 35F and 40F. But these are designed to keep the average sleeper warm even at near-freezing temperatures(20F) …
#3 Farland Envelope Sleeping Bag
Professional Camping Rating: 8.3 / 10
|$||4lbs||290T Nylon||8 x 8 x 15||Autumn, Winter|
This sleeping bag is perfect to snuggle up in after a long and tiring day of trekking. It is designed to suit the colder weather along with being waterproof, weather-resistant and promises to keep you warm even during the more extreme temperatures.
If you are hiking in a group, and you all buy these sleeping bags, they can even zip together to create one giant quilt as it is an envelope shape.
- 1.FEEL THE DIFFERENCE - Farland Super Comfortable Sleeping Bags are designed to ensure that after a tiring day of trekking, hiking, travel or any other exploration you can get a good and relaxing night's sleep.Roll Control Design makes folding quick and easy ,Zip two together for double the room.
- 2.DESIGNED FOR COOL/COLD WEATHER – Our sleeping bags are designed for 20-62℉/-7-17℃. Moreover, these bags also have a waterproof, weather-resistant design to keep you warm even in extreme conditions and prevent you from any dampness - this is achieved through double-filled technology …
#4 Hyke & Byke 800 fill power Goose Down Sleeping Bag
Professional Camping Rating: 7.6 / 10
|$$$||2.8lbs||400T Nylon Fabric||78 x 28 x 22||All Seasons|
This premium sleeping bag comes with a lifetime guarantee, so it may be a little more pricey than others on the market, but it will definitely give you the value for your money
.It’s made of goose down insulation so it’ll be sure to keep you warm and toasty through the night. The feathers create ‘loft’ which traps in the heat for the colder weather. The insulation is both lightweight and compact only weighing around 2.4 lbs (the larger varieties are a little heavier, but not much).
It promises to have long lasting durability as it’s lined with a non-rip nylon fabric with two zippers, wide shoulder space and a large footbox, so there’s lots of room inside to give you a good night’s sleep.
- 3.2lbs SAVE SPACE and SHAVE WEIGHT - Designed to maximize durability, warmth, and water resistance. This backpacking sleeping bag contains Hydrophobic 800 FP Goose down fill and ClusterLoft fill for its base. ClusterLoft performs better than down for durability under compression and moisture resistance. It is considered the closest synthetic insulation to natural down due to its performance and construction mimicking natural down clusters …
#5 Broadened Sleeping Bag – Newdora
Professional Camping Rating: 7.1 / 10
|$||3.5lbs||210 T Nylon Cover||74cm x 13in x 3in||All Seasons|
This sleeping bag is great for all seasons, whether you’re heading out in the height of winter or setting out on a spring camping trip. It’s really light, weighing only a few pounds so your back will thank you halfway up the mountain.
The compactness of this bag means you don’t have to sacrifice any space in your backpack and comes in a handy carry case.
It’s made from high-quality materials which mean it staves off any moisture, keeps off any colder drafts meaning you’ll feel snug and tucked up all night long.
#6 Becozier Sleeping Bag
Professional Camping Rating: 8.8 / 10
|$$||4lbs||210T Polyester||32 x 21 x 90||Spring, Summer|
As this name suggests this sleeping bag will give you the cosy night’s sleep you crave after a long day of hiking. Suitable for the warmer months and heading into Autumn, this bag is best suited to temperatures between 24 and 82 degrees fahrenheit. It’s a hooded sleeping bag and is mummy style, so it is very snug during the night.
It’s features include a parallel-shaped quilt and has a windproof zipper to help minimise cooler drafts, keeping you warmer for longer.
#7 AnToKing All Season Warm Weather Sleeping Bag
Professional Camping Rating: 7.4 / 10
|$||3.5lbs||210T Polyester||13 x 10 x 8||Autumn, Winter|
As a camping companion for the cooler weather, this sleeping bag is both lightweight and waterproof. This sleeping bag also zips all the way around and so can also be used as a full quilt, rather than just a sleeping bag. It’s best used in temperatures around 32 to 60 degrees fahrenheit.
Each pocket of insulation in this sleeping bag is locked in using the special Fiberlock Construction and so the padding won’t move around – meaning it has an extended life for a lifetime of camping trips.
With a double zipper, you can adjust the temperature inside yourself, depending on how cold or hot you are during the night. This is due to the draft collars and zipper draft tubes which prevents either the colder air getting in or the warmer air escaping.